Break Up Cost of Destination Wedding in India
Break Up Cost of Destination Wedding in India
Whenever we wedding planners propose a wedding planning budget to our prospective clients, prompt comes the question: could you please provide a cost break up for this destination wedding? And we gladly oblige. But questions get deeper thereafter, somewhat like this… I see that you have put floral décor in my pre wedding function. Do I know what flowers you are going to use? Do I get orchids? What fabric are you using for draping? Do I get a cost break up for flowers & drapes separately? I am taking full wedding planning services from you. Don’t I get wedding photography services complimentary? …and end of excitement that the wedding planner had all this while to plan this prospective wedding. This is because most of the ‘prospective clients’ do not understand that designing a professional wedding planning budget is a complex process, which a wedding planner reveals only to his/her ‘contracted clients’.
Being a prospective client you may have the privilege of information about the cost of destination wedding in India, generally. And as a wedding planner, this post is one of my attempts to answer the general questions asked by my prospective clients about the cost of destination wedding in India.
Pick any destination in India of your choice: Goa, Kerala, Rajasthan or Himachal, most common requirements are of:
Cost of food & stay in various star properties, décor of pre wedding & wedding functions, entertainment services, photography and make up services come under general inquiries. However, costs of all services cannot be generalized as this may depend on many fundamentals like availability of suppliers and quality materials, of the particular destination where you are planning to host your wedding.
Following are general understanding of cost of various services of destination wedding in India…
Yes! This is the foremost service you should confirm, before you confirm any of the following services. A destination wedding could not be organized without the assistance of a wedding planner.
Why? You will only get the answer after you complete reading this article. So get set go… the roller coaster ride has just begun…
STAY & FOOD
Be it anywhere in India, this component comprises the major part of your wedding planning budget and it also depends on the type of properties you are interested to host your wedding. Here is an idea about star properties:
- •Tariff of a standard room of any 5* property would be INR 15K + GST onwards
- •Tariff of a standard room of any 4* property would be INR 12K + GST onwards
- •Tariff of a standard room of any 3* property would be INR 9K + GST onwards
- •Properties below standard these may/may not be suitable to host weddings
The above mentioned tariffs are based on the chain of 5*/4*/3* properties like JW Marriot, Radisson Blu, Fortune hotels respectively.
You may get a good discount on rooms if you book through charter websites, but then you should also know the same discount isn’t valid for group bookings. The above mentioned tariffs are for wedding season specifically, which is generally observed from October to March every year. Tariffs may also vary depending on month/season/festivals. However you may save some bucks by availing a discount on these tariffs by planning your celebration in the off season. The off season may depend on the destination itself, for example: June to September is an off season for Destinations in Rajasthan, whereas October to March are an off season for Destinations in Himachal or Uttarakhand. You could avail a discount up to 20% on room tariffs. So, you need to make your decisions vigilantly.
Each 5*/4*/3* properties have venues which could cater to your pre wedding and wedding functions. Venues could be anything like AC Banquet, lawn area, swimming pool area or any special area of the property dedicated for wedding functions. Where 3* properties may have only one or two venues, 4* & 5* properties may have multiple venues.
Here is a basic understanding on venue charges:
- •5* Property: Venue Charges may vary from INR 50K to 2Lacs + GST Per function (T&C)
- •4* Property: Venue Charges may vary from INR 50K to 1Lac + GST Per function (T&C)
- •3* Property: Mostly Free of charge with minimum guarantee of rooms.
T&C: 4*/5* property Charges on venues depend on certain circumstances i.e. If you are staying in a 3* property and hosting the functions in a 4*/5* property, then you may have to pay the venue charges along with the food & beverage charges per person. Whereas, if you give a minimum guarantee of rooms for stay say about 60-100 or above, then you may get venues free of charge.
You could calculate the cost counting your number of functions & guests and choice of property and then divide it per person.
Breakfast is included in room tariff in most of the star properties, so you pay for another 2 meals and a snack, i.e. Lunch, Dinner & Hi-Tea respectively. Here is the breakdown on per person basis…
- •5* Property: Lunch: INR 1200 + GST onwards, Dinner: INR 1500 + GST onwards, Hi-Tea: INR 700 + GST onwards. Wedding Feast: Lunch or Dinner: INR 2500 + GST onwards.
- •4* Property: Lunch INR 1000 + GST onwards, Dinner: INR 1200 + GST onwards, Hi-Tea: INR 600 + GST onwards. Wedding Feast: Lunch or Dinner: INR 2200 + GST onwards.
- •3* Property: Lunch INR 900 + GST onwards, Dinner: INR 1100 + GST onwards, Hi-Tea: INR 500 + GST onwards. Wedding Feast: Lunch or Dinner: INR 2000 + GST onwards.
The cost mentioned above would be applicable for veg/non-veg meals. The cost per person of wedding feast may depend on the elaborate menu. You may also request DIY snack stalls or BBQ by paying extra charges.
You could calculate the cost of stay & food along with GST in the 5*/4*/3* properties on a per person basis.
The cost of décor may depend on your demand and availability of resources. For example: If you are looking out to decorate your functions with materials which could be locally sourced from that destination, then the costs are on the standard level. But then if you are looking out for something specific which would have to be imported, then décor costs may increase accordingly. Also costs may somewhat depend on your décor designer or planner (Please, I am not speaking of any flower decorator here), as they are likely to charge more or less depending on their creativity standards.
However there is a standard cost for standard décor which is more or less the same for all destination weddings in India. Here is a general observation of décor for functions comprising 100 guests…
- •Pre Wedding Function: Likely to be Engagement, Sangeet, Mehendi or any similar function: Décor starts from INR 1.5L + GST per function, this cost may include décor of structures, drapes, florals, lights, related props, also furniture to some extent.
- •Wedding Function: Likely to be the Wedding day function followed by Reception: Décor starts from INR 2.5L + GST per function, this cost may include décor of several structures, drapes, florals, lights, related props, also furniture to some extent.
- •Theme Party: Pool party, Bollywood sangeet, Masquerade themed reception are a few ideas of theme parties you could arrange to engage your guests, these have particular décor sets which may cost you from INR 2L + GST per theme.
The above mentioned cost is based on the décor with locally sourced materials, could be anything like flowers, fabric or furniture. Any specific request could be arranged on extra charges.
You could calculate the cost according to the number functions you are likely to host and divide the total cost on per person basis.
There may be many variants, likely to be nothing in particular when it comes to entertainment services. You could hire a local or celebrity DJ for your sangeet or may be a local band would do. Bollywood dance troupes, folk dancers, singers, guitarists, piano players, celebrity anchors or on the top of all bollywood celebrities – all could be sourced, provided it satisfies your demand and fits your pocket.
Generally, the demand is of the following and the cost per service, if planning a destination wedding in India, is likely to be around what is mentioned below:
- •DJ with music console: A standard local DJ charges around INR 30K + GST onwards. However there endless limits if you want o spend, you can hire celebrity DJ who plays for high class parties, night clubs and savvy events at INR 80K+ GST onwards.
- •Male/Female Anchor: To engage your guests, you have to hire good looking and appealing hosts. So the need of a standard Anchor/Male comes at a cost of INR 10K + GST onwards. However you may hire celebrity Anchor/Male who hosts fashion events, bollywood events at a cost of INR 30K + Taxes onwards. Female/Anchors are expensive you may have to shell out INR 15K + GST onwards for a standard and INR 40K + GST onwards for celebrity anchors. Also, you may note that you may have to bear the expenses of travel/food/stay of these artists, if they are not sourced locally.
- •Dance Troupe: If you are hiring a local dance troupe bollywood or folk, cost may start from INR 20K + GST onwards. If sourcing popular troupes, cost may start from INR 40K + GST. Also, you may note that you may have to bear the expenses of travel/food/stay of these artists, if they are not sourced locally.
- •Sufi Singers: Cost start from INR 30K + GST onwards, if locally sourced.
- •Belly Dancers: Cost may vary and could be somewhere around INR 20K + GST onwards
- •Mehendi Artiste: So, this is the most important service for any mehendi function and costs may vary. For bridal henna full hands/legs costs starts from INR 10K + GST onwards, whereas for individual guests cost starts from INR 2K + GST onwards, per guest.
- •Garba Dance Troupe: This is very popular for mehendi functions recently, a troupe of 3 men & 3 women may cost around 20K + GST onwards.
- •Lady singers with Dholki: A group of 6 ladies may come at a cost of around INR 25K + GST onwards
- •Brass Band + Ghodi: Entry of groom with Dressed lightmen with music band comes at around INR 45K + GST onwards, these are of standard quality and are not serviced for just any other kind of wedding.
- •Floral Chadar or Doli: Entry of bride in flower coverlet or in palanquin with music, cost around INR 20K + GST onwards
- •Jaimala: A decorated Stage with confetti showers, 2 flower garlands, along with back ground music may cost around INR 30K + GST. If you wish for some more effects like a hydraulic stage with cold showers, fireworks etc then costs may start from INR 50K + GST onwards.
- •Shehnai Players: A troupe a cost around INR 30K + GST onwards.
- •Band/ Orchestra: An orchestra troupe could cost around INR 25K + GST onwards
- •Ice Breakers: Guitarists/ violin players/ Piano Players: Costs for these artists may start from INR 15K + GST onwards.
PHOTOGRAPHY + VIDEOGRAPHY
Certainly! This is one of the major aspects while comprehending the services cost of destination wedding in India. However the cost for this service depends upon the fame & quality of the photographer, but generally it could range from anything in the following:
- •Candid Photography Stills: INR 25K + GST onwards Per Function
- •Traditional Photography Stills: INR 15K + GST onwards Per Function
- •Traditional Videography: INR 40K + GST onwards Per Function
- •Cinematography/ Wedding Film: INR 60K + GST onwards Per Function
- •Pre Wedding shoot: INR 20K + GST onwards for 8hours shoot
- •Pre Wedding Video: INR 40K + GST onwards for teaser & film.
Also, you may note that you may have to bear the expenses of travel/food/stay of these artists, if they are not sourced locally. Guess you would not like to compromise and would need all the above mentioned photography services, so calculate your budget accordingly.
MAKE UP ARTISTE
This is the most important service NOT ONLY for the brides but for the grooms as well. But then, the charming service which helps you doll up for your bid day comes with a price tag! Now let’s evaluate the cost for this service:
- •Bridal Make up & Hair do: INR 20K + GST onwards for the bride on her wedding day, includes, make up, hair do, draping etc.
- •Pre Wedding Function Make up for Bride: INR 10K + GST onwards per pre wedding function includes, make up, hair do, draping etc.
- •Groom Make up + Draping: INR 15K + GST onwards for the bride on her wedding day, includes, make up, hair do, draping etc
- •Pre Wedding Function Make up for Groom: INR 8K + GST onwards per pre wedding function includes, make up, hair do, draping etc.
- •Make Up/ Touch up, per guest: INR 2K + GST onwards for per pre wedding/ wedding function includes, make up, hair do, draping etc.
Also, you may note that you may have to bear the expenses of travel/food/stay of these artists, if they are not sourced locally.
An important aspect which cannot be overlooked while comprehending the cost of destination wedding in India. Travel to the destination is generally paid by the guests themselves so I would skip this part. Travel within the destination which could be anything like airport/ station transfers, hotel to venue travel or going sightseeing. So the costs would be somewhat around the following:
- •Luxury Bus, 49 seater: INR 25K + GST onwards for 8hours, cost may not depend on KMs in this case.
- •AC coaches, 12 seater: INR 10K + GST onwards for 8hours, cost may depend on KMs or Hours, whichever is greater.
- •AC Car 5-8 seater: INR 3K + GST onwards for 8hours, cost may depend on KMs or Hours, whichever is greater
- •Vintage Car: INR 10K + GST onwards for 5hours maximum.
So technically, you pay depending on your schedule and requirement.
MORE SERVICES MORE COSTS
Apart from the essentials, if you wish for some extra services, you would have to set your budget accordingly. You could add any of the following or other services of your choice to your requirement and budget list. Say…
Caricature artists, live bangle makers, fire jugglers, tattoo artists, comedian and the list is endless.
All of the above mentioned services could be hired at definite prices; you could set your budget accordingly.
So! Enjoyed the Roller Coaster?
Isn’t planning everything above and that too in at a right Budget a Hectic Task?
Worry Not! Let me introduce you to your fairy god mother, who will set everything right for your Big Day…
Now that you know that without a Wedding Planner, planning a destination wedding is almost impossible, you should also know that Wedding Planning is a Service and your wedding planner with team add up to your wedding budget.
So let’s now comprehend the cost of a wedding planner. (I know, many couples would shy out and turn to the next article and I will not insist them to read further) Anyway, let’s continue…
So a wedding planner may charge you any one of the two ways:
- •Percentage (%) of Wedding Budget: A planner may charge a certain percentage of amount as their fee depending on the size of the wedding budget. Likely to be around 10-25% of the total wedding budget.
- •Fixed Fee: Most common fee structure of startup wedding planning ventures, they charge a fixed fee depending on the services and the responsibilities they undertake to make your Big Day special.
The choice completely depends on you and your capacity of expenditures.
Hope the above information helps to understand, the break up cost of destination wedding in India.
Wedding Planner Package including Consultancy + Planning + Coordination @ INR 20000 + Tax (t&c) Read details here
Thank you for reading Have you any suggestions, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Diwas Celebrations for more updates and helpful tips on Destination Weddings.